Re: Re: Movement rates

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 11:14:37 -0800

> Nope, just as long as we *also* get the miles. We can
> all visualise a mile.

Yeah, it's as far as a Vingan can chuck a javelin. ;-).

There are plenty of books and games with movement rates listed, not to mention the formulae that have been presented here.

The question then becomes, not so much "Can he physically move between X and Y in T time using M movement ability" (that can be decided by simple arithmatic once you chose your method), but "Does something happen on the way to upset these calculations, or "Can he do it faster?", or both.

Boldhome to WhiteWall is around 53.3 miles as the Wind blows. The road meanders a bit, so call it roughly 65 miles or so, over some rough terrain, but these are Sartar's Roads, so much better than a rough mud track, the up-and-down over hills will probably be the main problem for the traveller, not the condition of the surface.

Walking, I'd allow 4 days normally, 2 if he was in good shape and really pushed it.
Running all the way - well, it's between two and three marathon-lengths (26.2 miles to the Modern Marathon), so he might do it in a day if he had a good "Long Distance Running" ability*
If he rides a post-relay? Possible in one long day. If he flew? Errm, then we get into the air-speed of a fully laden Vanganthi, and whether he was a Vingkotling or Heortling Vanganthi (and where did he get the cocoanuts?).

*Some interesting history on poor ol' Phidippides, the first Marathon runner, from http://www.lakepowell.net/marathon.html:

"The Role of Phidippides

The Athens, vastly outnumbered, desperately needed the help of Sparta's military base to help fend off the attack. Time was short, so the Athenian generals send Phidippides (or Philippides) a professional runner to Sparta to ask for help. The 140 mile course was very mountainous and rugged. Phidippides ran the course in about 36 hours. Sparta agreed to help but said they would not take the field until the moon was full due to religious laws. This would leave the Athenians alone to fight the Persian Army. Phidippides ran back to Athens (another 140 miles!) with the disappointing news. Immediately, the small Athenian Army (including Phidippedes) marched to the plains of Marathon to prepare for battle.

[The battle is won by the Athenians. Yay! Western Civilization is saved from the evil Persians]

Phidippides was again called upon to run to Athens (26 miles away) to carry the news of the victory and the warning about the approaching Persian ships. Despite his fatigue after his recent run to Sparta and back and having fought all morning in heavy armor, Phidippides rose to the challenge. Pushing himself past normal limits of human endurance, the reached Athens in perhaps 3 hours, deliverd his message and then died shortly thereafter from exhaustion. "

So that's 300+ miles in four days, with a battle in the middle. No wonder the poor guy died, it was probably the only way to keep from being sent *back* to Sparta with the message of "Never mind, we did it ourselves"!

RR
- Richelieu