Re: Mixed Religion Branching (Was:Presents from a shaman)

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 11:23:25 -0800

> >Well, just about everyone does the Teshnan equivalent of Yoga and gets
> >"Spell of Health" from the Book of Well Being. After that, though...
>
> That's true, that's a freebie, isn't it. That is, it doesn't count against
> the five starting common magic abilities for somebody with the CM keyword,
> right?

I would count it against the 5 CM limit, personally. Just because everyone has it doesn't make it "free", it just makes it ubiquitous. But you are free to chose the other 4 CM abilities from the other sources mentioned in the article. Notice that Hazeel, the Teshnan example character, has it as one of the five. (page 26).

> I get the sense that you might feel that I have some skewed idea of how
> common some of these things are - you keep giving me good examples of this
> sort of thing. Do I give some sort of impression that I'm going to deluge
> the game world with cross-realm worshippers, Shamans, Devotees, and
Adepts?
> I can assure you that in the games that I run that all are far and few
> between. In fact, they're even rare as heroes, as it happens. Right now
I've
> got a spate of characters who are all starting at the communal worshipper
> level, and don't even have much common magic to speak of. Not by design or
> anything, but I certainly don't encourage all sorts of weird combinations
or
> anything. Just want to know if it's possible, and how it works if/when it
> happens.

Well, since I don't really know you, I've got to be careful and hedge bets. Plus, there's all the other people reading this thread (all three of them), that might get the idea that this sort of wackiness is common. I want to make sure that people realize that it's uncommon-to-rare.

RR
- Richelieu