Re: Improvisation & the Book

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 01:06:48 +0000

Chris says

>Since Greg has encouraged folks to go ahead and produce Narrator
>techniques for Improvisation- I'm already starting on it, and
>I'll be happy to share when I have it complete. I'll be
>looking forward to input and comments.

I look forward to reading it.

>The idea of improvisation is even LESS accessible to tell people to
>"just do it" without solid advice as HOW to do it

I'd say you need some idea of where you're going, but not be to hung up on how your going to get there. It also helps to encourage players to explain their actions, and be prepared to pick up their ideas and run with them.

(As an example, someone mentioned earlier presenting a character with a conflict as to whether to stay on patrol or to leave to try and rescue their family - It is far more useful if they can explain why they choose one course of action, since this provides more material to build on - HQ probably helps here, especially for decisions where some form of contest is involved, as abilities are invoked for augments)

--
| Tim Ellis           EMail tim_at_...                      |
| What is the use of a book without pictures or conversations?            |