Quest Questions [was: Follower abilities and other questions]

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 09:41:23 -0800

>1) Sidekick abilities: Method from the HQ rules is good for
>beginning heroes� sidekicks, but is paying Heropoints really the
>only way for sidekick to increase their abilities? How about when
>characters are 2-mastery levels, do sidekicks still start
>with "Keyword 17, other 3 abilities at 13 (+15 to spread to these
>skills if i remember correctly)" ?

According to the rules? yes. As Jane noted, it was to prevent the uber-followers based -8 from the hero's best abilty, and the subsequent "I'll put all my HP into one ability".

>2) HeroQuesting and carryover: I run my first HeroQuest in our last
>gaming session; i played every station as a extended contests, and
>the carryovers with the complete victory were really high...
>Basically, somewhere around +20 - +30 . Have i understood something
>wrong in the rules? Can the carryovers be used at whatever station
>Narrator seems approriate?

It shouldn't matter whether you ran the contests as Extended or Simple. The carryover is based on the degree of victory and the ability rating of the opponent. If your heroes were getting complete victories over W2-W3 level opponents, then yes, the Carryover would be in the +20-30 range.

Using carryover depends on the narrator, basically. He can approve or disapprove the use of the carryover. Note that each station is usually ritually identified with a specific Questor - The Three-Eyed Sloth may be Lhankor Mhy's specific station, while the Ruby Warrior is Humakt's. You should only give carryover to the party if the correct person deals with the obstacle in the correct way. If Lhankor Mhy defeats the Ruby Warrior, it's not a "win" at the station, even though the questors get to proceed along the path. Some of the ritual identifications are secrets of their cults - if you don't know that the Three-Eyed Sloth is a Lhankor Mhy obstacle, then your heroes will be screwed when they get to that point. Researching myths is important for proper (not experimental) heroquesting.

>3 a) HeroQuest rewards: In final station, Main hero had Heroquest
>challenge with the Red Man; and Red Man bet his Darkness affinity
>(15W3); main hero bet his Movement Affinity (8W); Main hero won (with
>the carryover and supporters bonus) complete victory, Hero gains
>Darkness Affinity (8W). Am i correct?

Correct. The actual stake is equal to the lower ability rating of the two that are wagered (page 203 - second to last paragraph of the Right-hand column).

>3 b) The Quest above was about "Old Time Hero Iryunder" proving his
>leadership skills, and the station above was the final station...
>Main reward was bonus the Lead Warband -skill. With complete victory,
>what is the bonus the Main hero? I gave him +8 to his skill, plus the
>Darkness Affinity from the Heroquest challenge.

The final Heroquest challenge should be for the ability/thing that the hero will gain if he wins the HeroQuest. So instead of the Darkness Affinity, the Challenge *should* have been for the leadership ability (Lead Warband vrs Movement Affinty).

It sounds like the players were either lucky in their dice rolling, or outclassed their opposition by too great a margin, to get so many Complete Victories.

And was the hero questing for himself, or for his community? There's a big difference in how much support he'll get from his community. They are less likely to tie themselves to a hero when he is looking out for his own benefit instead of theirs. So less likely for he and his followers to get bonuses from support.

RR
- Richelieu