Re: Keyword ratings vs character age

From: John Galloway <yuskim1_at_...>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 05:52:39 -0000

Heh, no worries. It's all part of the rich tapestry of life.

> I think this extra keyword point per year and other such mechanisms
> as generally misguided, and from the same school of thought as 'all
> begining pc's are crap' which is something else I don't agree with.

Oops, sorry. I certainly didn't intend to convey that impression. I was hoping that someone would come up with a simple, elegant scheme that I could reverse-engineer to create a solution to my original problem. (I'm sure I had a good reason for not just posting my original problem but I can't recall what it was now. Oh well, there you go!)

What I really want to know is this: What occupational keyword can I use for a character who was a farmer for the first 24 years of his life then he got press-ganged into being a sailor for another five?

One approach is to use the occupation that he did the longest (farmer) while another is to use the occupation that he did most recently (sailor). Yet another is to make a new keyword made up from a mix of attributes chosen from both of the others.

I'm not too keen on the first two amd the last one leaves me suspecting that the attributes from one source ought to be higher than the others.

I keep wanting to compare him with how he would have been six years earlier [farmer (23 yrs)], three years earlier [farmer (24 yrs) & sailor (2 yrs)], three years later [farmer (23 yrs) & sailor (8 yrs)] and so on and it distresses me (to a point) that the character creation rules don't seem to let me extrapolate the later versions from the first.

Still, to paraphrase a line from 'Babe' that's just the way things are. And sorry if this got to rant-ish too.

Thanks,