RE: Re: Keyword ratings vs character age

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 07:09:58 -0000

> What I really want to know is this: What occupational keyword can I
> use for a character who was a farmer for the first 24 years of his
> life then he got press-ganged into being a sailor for another five?

> One approach is to use the occupation that he did the longest
> (farmer) while another is to use the occupation that he did most
> recently (sailor). Yet another is to make a new keyword made up from
> a mix of attributes chosen from both of the others.
>
> I'm not too keen on the first two amd the last one leaves me
> suspecting that the attributes from one source ought to be higher
> than the others.

I'd give him both, but at 13 not 17. He's spent five years forgetting how to be a farmer, hence the drop there. Skills can go down as well as up, with time. Assuming you're using standard keyword levels for the rest of the party, that should balance in terms of power levels. If, that is, you want balanced power levels (no reason why you should).

Where skills overlap, give that skill at 17, perhaps.

> I keep wanting to compare him with how he would have been six years
> earlier [farmer (23 yrs)],

Farmer 17. Does that help?

> three years earlier [farmer (24 yrs) &
> sailor (2 yrs)], three years later [farmer (23 yrs) & sailor (8 yrs)]
> and so on and it distresses me (to a point) that the character
> creation rules don't seem to let me extrapolate the later versions
> from the first.

Yeah :(