Re: Physical feat in a mental contest

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 08:02:49 -0800

> On the simpler subject of how to narrate an indirect
> physical effect on the mind of the opponent, our very
> own Humakti subcult of Hereward Truewind has a neat
> little feat called Howling Doomwind whose sole purpose
> is to terrify the opposition with thoughts of their
> mortality. For a similar and more Orlanthi effect, I'd
> suggest looking at bagpipes.

Hah! Bagpipes lift you up and reinforce your natural superiority! They are morale *boosters*, not destroyers. Bloody Sassanachs.

I'd class sound as a more "physical" then "mental" special effect - like wind, it is something one of your five senses can distinguish. For a mental effect, I would expect it to directly affect the opponent's thinking, without the senses being involved. A Lunar casting a "Drive Mad" magic is a (most likely) a "mental" effect, as is a "Fear" ability.

Would your Howling Doomwind affect someone that was completely deaf? If yes, then it's mental, if no, then physical.

Of course, for a suitable Improv modifier, I'd allow someone to use a "Howling Doomwind" or similar effect incorporally inside someone's head...

RR
- Richelieu