Re: Physical feat in a mental contest

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 17:14:12 +0000 (GMT)

> Hah! Bagpipes lift you up and reinforce your natural
> superiority! They are
> morale *boosters*, not destroyers. Bloody
> Sassanachs.

For your side, yes - for the enemy?

> I'd class sound as a more "physical" then "mental"
> special effect - like
> wind, it is something one of your five senses can
> distinguish. For a mental
> effect, I would expect it to directly affect the
> opponent's thinking,
> without the senses being involved.

> Would your Howling Doomwind affect someone that was
> completely deaf? If yes,
> then it's mental, if no, then physical.

I see what you mean - and for our specific case, I'm not sure of the answer. Doesn't matter here, but that's a good distinction.

Likewise the more standard Humakti "Visage of Fear" is probably sight-based.

I can see a case for a wind-based effect that enters your opponents lungs, if they have such - that could be nasty! In Orlanthi terms, that's direct soul v. soul.

Hmm, sliding off at a tangent, standard first aid artifical respiration aka "kiss of life" could have all sorts of interesting implications from that POV.