Re: HQ abilities as the pendant to visual effects ?

From: Toksickburn_at_...
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 10:32:32 EST

maybe im using the wrong words...i´m german, english is not my first language, sorry....

maybe i should say: whats the HQ ability equivalent to a special effect in a visual medium instead of pendant...

to make a few concepts clearer: when im speaking of visual special effects im mostly talking about movies that have a lot of computer animated stuff. Like  things you have never seen before, or creatures that dont exist in reality. Sometime ago a lot of special effects movies just worked around that feature. Its like: „have you seen movie X? The story is crap but the effects are just wow !“
In some of the newer movies, special effects are just one part of the action, like The Lord Of The Rings.

Its the same with comic books. You can have big coloured detailed pictures, because they look good or they are more than that. Every detail has a meaning and gives the creature real depth.

In HQ that means, you can have cool vague bloomy abilities for the sake of it. Or you can have cool vague bloomy abilities that make a difference, because  they are clever and relevant in gameplay. I think its cool and fun to come up with special abilities, that dont work the traditional way. Like in the zombie example i posted on The Forge:

traditional zombie:
superstrong, clawattack, slow

cool HQ „special effect“ zombie:
horrible stench, already dead, hunger for life

The first example could be used for a lot of monsters. The second example gives the zombie similar abilities but also more descriptive „oomph“ and interesting features that can not be countered so easily. I think it takes the whole rpg concept to a new level.

janewilliams said:
"Are you after a one-off impression on the players, or something for a long-term villain?"

I guess im more thinking of a one-off impression....

And for the Darth Vader example, I do think that his voice and his costume is one important feature. When pc´s encounter him for the first time they have to defeat their fear. His dark force powers and his lightsabre fighting are more special effects. In the first starwars movie we dont know about his relation to luke.
The special effects Darth Vader goes a bit like this:

fear instructing appearance (costume, voice) weapon that cuts everything and can only be parried by an equal weapon dark force magic

So i think there are two different levels. One is making opponents interesting because of their abilities and the second is making opponents interesting because of story and relationships.

Does that make it clearer ?

Christian