Re: Re: Contest minutiae; Goldeneyes

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 00:41:52 +0100 (BST)

David D:
> > > Yes! You can almost always use magic or mundane abilities
> > > interchangeably (places you can't, like humans flying, should be
> > > obvious :-). As Narrator, you're justified in imposing
> > > improvisational modifiers, of course.
> >
> > The only thing that's interchange is the game mechanic. If the
> > described _action_, whether magical or not, isn't appropriate to
> > the situation, the ability would be that much less 'appropriate',
> > and would likely attract a penalty.
>
> Well, yes. But this isn't any different than using two mundane
> abilities interchangeably (I can win this argument with my Bullheaded
> ability or my Keen Wit ability -- one might be more appropriate,
> especially depending on your defense, but the rules treat each the
> same. And if I were a Gloranthan, I could use my Impress Audience
> feat. Again, no difference except possibly in contextual
> appropriateness.).

That's another bunfight you're digging up there, but you concede my actual point, albeit absurdedly downplayed in a context like 'except possibly'.

> > > Yes.
> >
> > No. ;-) (That's a reasonable rule of thumb, perhaps, but not to the
> > point of flouting common sense.)
>
> It's a rule of law, see p. 129, p. 137.

OK then, it's one of the more 'optional' (i.e., stoopid) rules, then. Though IIRC, it's doesn't in fact precisely _say_ which ability (though it may be taking it for granted). Still, the degree to which it's vague is constructive vagueness, IMO, so I see no purpose in being as proscriptive about as you seem to want to be.

> > Currently I'm toying with the notion of making edges and handicaps
> > somewhat _more_ common in combat.
>
> We've found that edges slow things down in combat -- better to try to
> find ways to make them less common in my opinion.

Maybe that depends on how much combat you're doing, and how 'fast' it needs to be...

> (Luckily, weapon
> ranks are an optional rule.)

It's a rule of law, see pp. 144-148...

Cheers,