Re: Re: Ridiculous circular marathon arguments

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 22:06:00 +0100 (BST)

> > But you're re-framing it, after the die roll has
> been
> > done. That's almost like "ah, maybe I didn't jump
> off
> > the cliff after all, now I know I'm rolling a
> fumble".
>
> But thats not the point is it?

Yes, it is. That's exactly the point.

> Anyway, when I frame contests we due it
> generally and then fine tune after the dice have
> flown. I'd call the above fine tuning.

I'd call it a major re-write. It's a shift sufficient that different abilities would have been appropriate.

> What I am assuming here is that the player has
> failed in the most spectacular way possible

Or has simply failed. Or succeeded, but not as well as they'd hoped.

> but has come up with a
> cool scene that maybe everyone at the table thinks
> is groovy.

If it's that cool, I'd have it earn them a HP, for immediate spend on the cool scene :)

> And if
> the result that is put forward does not derail my
> plot or any other gm
> guff going on in the background that the players are
> not aware of, then
> I am going to allow it every time.

Sure. And if we're using rules at all, I'd like that to be possible inside those rules, not by simply ignoring them.

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/