Re: Re: Request for some math

From: Paul King <paul_at_...>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 23:06:08 +0100

Some quick analysis avoiding the complications :-) (Most significantly I am only counting extra victories - that underrates the advantage of improvement because it ignores other improvements)

Allowing for ties, the chance of a victory with equal numbers is 190/400

Improvements in ability shift the chance of victory for the better side as follows

+1 1/400
+2 3/400
+3 6/400
+4 10/400

(i.e. triangular numbers)

Until you hit 20 as your target number - which is the same as 19.

When mastery numbers are different, criticals matter too, favouring the weaker side. Then it looks like the actual numbers start to matter more

Explanation:

With equal skill the chance of a tie is 20/400 (both roll the same number).

The remaining 380 results are divided 50/50, victory/defeat

If the opposition rolls lower, and Succeeds the hero still get a Marginal Defeat, even rolling Success instead of a Failure. So we don't need to consider rolls where the opposition Succeeds. If the opposition rolls higher the Hero would still get a marginal victory, even with a Failure. So we don't need to consider rolls where the opposition Fails and rolls higher.

So the only rolls that matter for this analysis are those where: 1) The Hero rolls a number that is now a Success instead of a Failure. 2) The opposition rolls a failure that is equal or lower to the Hero's roll.