Re: Two goals?

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 11:00:40 +0100 (BST)

> How do you all model two goals going on
> simultaneously?

I try not to...

> We always discuss examples and how the system
> handles them. The Empire Strikes
> Back is on my tv right now. Interestingly, I am not
> sure how I would model
> that final confrontation between Luke and Vader.
> HOWEVER - The dialogue shows Vader trying to goad
> the Dark Side out of Luke
> from the beginning. So is Vader actually in an
> extended contest to do that
> from the beginning and all aspects of the physical
> fight are unrelated actions/extras?

In this example, I'd say Vader's goal is to convert Luke to the Dark Side, and physically beating him is just one means of knocking his confidence. So in fact, there is only one goal, one extended contest, and nothing is unrelated.

But the question of doing two things at once is a good one. Can we find an example that doesn't get re-interpreted as a single goal?

erm....

if I'm trying to simultaneously cook a meal and carry on an intelligent conversation on a totally different subject? To make life even more awkward, let's say it's a phone conversation, so I need one hand to hold the phone to my ear - the two activities do interfere with each other.

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/