RE: house rule question of augmentation

From: David Cake <dave_at_...>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 17:45:26 +0800

>Yep. Enhancement should be an essentially private business, IMO... I don't
>want these reflexive Bladesharp/Dullblade spells to take up too much game
>time. (Nor do I want them to be normally reflexive :-)

        Definately. The more I thought about it, the more I liked it.

>Another worry: enhancements are all + to hit (augmentation) or + to damage
>(edge); the other part of the trinity in RQ was + to armour points, but
>that's gone. Imagine duelling Rune Lords with Truesword, Bladesharp 6,
>Strength, Coordination... but no Shield or Protection spells! Big edges are
>going to get scary.

        You can augment abilities that you use to defend with, though. I guess the RQ equivalent would be plenty of Dodge/shimmer/etc.

        THere is a bit of an asymmetry there, though, because casting spells to make handicaps to your opponents isn't an option.

        A very reasonable rule might well be that augments can also be used to create weapon or armour ranks in exactly the same way that they create edges.

        One a more general note about enhancements, its interesting that the augmentations become more important the higher powered you are. Presuming that self-augmentation is limited in practice (you usually don't get that many actions to prepare), the more powerful you are the more important it becomes to have friends and followers who can augment you - which is a rather nicely Gloranthan result.

        Ie say if you were in a magical contest, and you and your opponent were around ability 5w1 - starting player level in best ability. Your friends can probably augment you by around +2 or so consistently. Which isn't likely to turn the tide of battle that much. But if you and your opponent are 5w3 - your friends enhancements will probably come to +10, which will turn the tide of battle quite decisively.

	Cheers
		David