RE: Magic

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_...>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 15:35:27 +0100

Mikko asks:

> Barumar the great Orlanthi warrior wants to strike his enemy with
> thunderbolt in the middle of extended contest. His affinity skill is
> 17. His close combat (sword&shield) skill is 5W (25 AP:s). He bids 15
> AP:s. Thunderbolt is physical efect, enemy resists with his tough 17.
> Question: Does Barumar roll fo close combat or magic affinity? My
> guess would be for affinity...

You're mostly right, but it's worse than that. If Barumar is a devotee, he would roll against his affinity (17). But if he's "only" an initiate, his use of any specific feat is at a -3 improvisational penalty, so he rolls against 14.

Note also that "Thunderbolt" is, strictly speaking, a "mystic strike" secret of Orlanth Thunderous. Cf. HW p.63 for more. I'm assuming you are talking about a generic magical attack, not this specific rule.

Cheers, Nick