Re: Animists and ancestors

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 12:58:10 -0000

Peter Metcalfe

> I don't think any shaman is powerful enough to capture something
> like lightning boy within a fetish.

Which puts me in mind of the fact that when in Nomad Gods a shaman creates an alliance with a spirit that spirit is 'out of the pool' for other shamans, which supports the principal that once one shaman is 'using' a specific spirit no one else can. If you could gain seperate powers the 'reality' of nomad gods would change.

In addition:

    In P&BR no one can contact Balastor's spirit which is bound in his axe.

    Balls of Tails are used to bind Nomad mounts spirits and prevents them form returning to the goddess - it does not steal part of their power.

    The White Bear God is uncontactable now Harek has it bound in its hide.

I'm sure there are other examples if we think about them.

So we do seem to have a tradition in Glorantha of bound spirits being uncontactable/unusable by anybody else.

Traditon aside it is also more interesting in game terms - on a day to day basis it does not stop the player getting a spirit they need, but allows plots to recover or release important spirits of the hierachy.

In addition if you are worried about the bargain aspect remember that the rules suggest you don't roll for tasks that any self respecting hero should never fail, for mundane uses I suspect the average shaman in good standing should be able to convince friendly tradition spirits to enter fetishes without bargaining or a struggle.

Of course Old Harad the Quivini Peaks shaman is unable to convince any spirits to enter his fetishes without a struggle because the spirits are complaining that a fetishhe made containing the wind spirit Shhh was lost three years ago and they are demanding Shhh's return from 'prison'. Now if you just get it back for him he might be able to save your cattle from that plague...

Ian