Re: LOT5R conversion

From: tim_at_...
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 13:01:48 -0000

I'd go for treating it as a personality trait and using it either directly (to oppose a Scorpion's "Blackmail" skill, for instance) or to augment another ability ("I will request an urgent audience with the Daimyo, using my Ettiquette, augmented by my Honour")

Honour would go up by spendng HPs as normal. A failed Honour roll could give a penalty to Honour (in the same way that using Wealth can reduce your wealth score...)

This would make Glory an "open ended" score rather than a fixed 1-10 scale as it is in L5R, but this needn't be a problem (in fact it is virtually a necessity, given you might be using it against a skill with several Masteries...)

Glory is a trickier trait to convert, as L5R not only has it as a fixed scale, but suggests that a high glory equates to a high social rank (so (only) the emperor has Glory 10 etc)). You may be able to live with this as L5R also requires Glory by officially recognised by someone of a higher Glory Rank before you get it, but it still leaves Glory potentially "out of step" with the other skills - If it is too low it becomes meaningless (Do I try and impress my foe with my glory of 4 or my boast of 5w augmented by my Muscular physique 17). If, on the other hand it is too high it becomes much to powerful ("I'll augment my close combat by yelling out my name and linneage, frightening my foes when they realise who they are facing - my Close Combat is 17 and my Glory is 4w3 so i'll go for a +8, with only a 5% chance of not making it...)