Re: LOT5R conversion

From: wulfc_at_...
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 13:14:09 -0000

> Glory is a trickier trait to convert, as L5R not only has it as a
> fixed scale, but suggests that a high glory equates to a high
social
> rank (so (only) the emperor has Glory 10 etc

on
> the other hand it is too high it becomes much to powerful ("I'll
> augment my close combat by yelling out my name and linneage,
> frightening my foes when they realise who they are facing - my
Close
> Combat is 17 and my Glory is 4w3 so i'll go for a +8, with only a
5%
> chance of not making it...)

Not that I have the faintest idea how L5R works, this shouldn't be a problem so long as
a) Glory is increased (& decreased) by Narrator decision, NOT by HP expendature (so the Narrator decides how high it can ever get). You might want to allow some 'enhancement' by bribing Bards, etc... b) The Narrator applies plenty of Improvisation Modifiers ("I augment my Close Combat by yelling out my lineage and achievements!" - "They yell back 'Who? Sorry, were strangers round here!'")

As a matter of fact, I was thinking that a similar 'Fame' Ability might be universally useful in HW. Heros should be famous, after all!

Wulf