Magic weapons and minimaxing

From: Jonas Schiött <jonas.schiott_at_...>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 10:37:23 +0100

Wulf:

>Just realised, although mentioned, the Orlanthi Four Weapon Feats are
>not listed anywhere in TR.

I wondered about that too. Then I noticed that several subcults get feats under Combat that sound really similar to Lightning Spear (Searing Bolt) and the Shield of Arran (Spare Me, Turn Blow). So there should be no problem for any devotee with a Combat affinity to improvise and then cement these. Sandals of Darkness seems unique to the Thief subcult, though - you'd have to spend 10 or 20% time and a lot of HP to get the Stealth affinity to a usable level. And the Scarf of Mist doesn't seem to fit in anywhere - it's a kind of weather magic, but neither Storm nor Wind sounds quite right for it.

Jeff:

>It _looks_ like they were cut from the final writeup due to space and
>should have been in Special Orlanthi Aspects.

It was listed under that heading in the next-to-last version of the TOC posted to the Issaries site, but not in the final version. I had assumed they were cut because they were too minimaxing - like the way you have to actually join Mastakos to get teleportation magic now. But then Roderick says:

>My view of Orlanth is that he is the cosmos' greatest minimaxer - "I am a
>Hunter/Farmer/Warrior/Flying/Thunderbolt-throwing/Assassin/Wizard/Bard/Cleri
>c...ooops, sorry, got carried away there.

Yeah! Except of course that you can only be devoted to one aspect/subcult at a time. So you only get the penalty-free feats for three of your affinities.
It struck me that this leads to a difficult choice for leaders: sure you can join both Dar the King and Orlanth Rex, but which one do you devote yourself too? And if you're a High King you add Vingkot to the mix. Oh, and female rulers can be in Ernalda the Queen as well...

I do have one real question, though: it's about how hero cults work now. If such a cult provides an affinity, what does it take to get devotee-level access to it? Do you have to devote yourself only to that hero and remain an initiate of your main cult? That would seem like a bad deal. Or does the hero cult replace your subcult, so that you still worship it under an aspect? I'm not going to ask about secrets, since it's flatly stated numerous times that you can only know one of those...

Jonas Schiött
Göteborg