Re: Spending Hero Points to affect a role, timing...

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 09:43:13 -0800

> Here's a question that came up durring my game using the Hero War's
> rules.
>
> When does a player announce he is going to spend a hero point to
> affect a die roll?

Officially, they can declare a bump *after* seeing the result of the die roll, though several people run it that you must declare *before*. (yes, I know the book doesn't specify).

> Current I have it that they announce before they make the roll,
> although this could cause problems if they roll a 1 and the point
> feels wasted. But I wasn't sure if allowing players to hold off on
> using Hero Points gave them as much value as they I felt they
> deserved.

Why I like to let players declare After the roll:

Hero points bumps are useful usually for two things: Getting a Fumble bumped to a Failure to avoid really bad results, and bumping Success to Critical to get a really good result. As you note above, declaring a bump, then rolling a critical feels like a waste of the Hero Point.

Some people have said that they like to declare before the roll because the hero is making a determined effort to do better, but "more effort" is usually an attribute of a large AP bid or an augmentation.

Hero Points are the real "currency" of the game - the more HP people use to bump rolls, the less they will have to increase their abilities.

> I could add a rule in that, if they roll a 1, then the hero point is
> not truely used, but again, it doesn't feel as much as a gamble.
> Although are hero points ment to be somewhat of a gamble though?

No, rolling the dice is meant to be the gamble, HP use is meant to make it better (think of it as the Script-writer's or Author's Immunity that heros get in almost all forms of entertainment, or as loaded dice)

RR