Re: Many heroes against one big nasty beast

From: sigaud_at_...
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 17:05:57 -0000

Me:
> >Put Harven
> >the Unmoving Shield (Elmali Devotee) first, and the no one has to
> >bother about their defense rolls :-)

Wulf :
> Two possibilities:
> 1) It's SOOOOO big shields just don't protect you (it crushes you
> beneath your shield like a landslide)
> 2) Fine, let Harven roll the defences. Sooner or later, he'll lose,
> even if Marginally, then they'll all wish they had rolled...

Well, after years of patient culling and lengthy discussions, neither my players nor me would try such a stupid thing. Anyway, we already tend to roll dices only ... say, thrice a session.

> There is no need nor reason to use the same ability for both attack
> and defence. Attack with Close Combat, defend with Large.

Argh... (beats his own head).
I really should read the contest section again (I tend to spend much time in the magic section).
Well, now that I think about it I don't think any of the characters have a really 'defensive' ability. (well, maybe Esrolian Philosophy or 'Ex Sex Slave 13', but that wouldn't have worked against the Big Nasty Beast).

> Ignore all references to Oscar Wilde & the Troll. Do not ask
> questions. Do not pass Go.

Should I ?

> >Ah well... AR was perceived in France as 'oh no, another monsters
> >compendium, what are they doing ?'
>
> Without some sort of 'Monster Manual', how else will you find out
> about the flora & fauna (actually, the flora is still
> under-represented, barring Elves) of Glorantha? One book does not an
> obsession with more new monsters make.

Yes, I see that now. Anyway, I plan to buy it, and also Storm Tribe, Saintly Knight and whichever-name-has-She-Gards-Us-now. I'm interested by all that (and not wanting to produce a new 'buy everything from Issaries' thread either)