Re: Dual Magic Keywords

From: Roland Volz <rmv1_at_...>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 17:18:43 -0000

[Stephen Royle asks about combining devotional worship of two different aspects and subcults.]
> A character in my campaign Heldamar Blue Face is a devotee of
> Helamakt Adventurous (HA) and Vanganth Thunderous (VT).
As others have said, you can't really be a devotee of two cults in HW. That's kind of what "devotee" implies: you've given up all other forms of reverence, this is the god you have inside you (so to speak.) That's kind of why dual initiation is allowed for younger people (they're trying to find themselves in a metaphysical sense) and why it is difficult to do if you're already a devotee (since you're not being very devoted.)

If you want my opinion, though (and you'll be one of the few,) he should really be in a special, localized subcult. It sounds like he has a concrete concept for what his character follows, and just can't find an analogue in the published world of Glorantha. It's possible his character is one of those who never really find their place in the scheme of things, but the PCs are supposed to be Heroes-in-the- Making, right? If you're agreeable, as him what kind of god he follows, then put your own spin on it as a subcult of Orlanth.

Roland