Re: sorcerous otherworld

From: Nick_at_...
Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 06:35:20 -0000

Peter Larsen writes:

> One possibility, of course, is that different sorcerous schools
> provide radically different perceptions of the otherworlds

Indeed. Malkioni wizards use the Stained-Glass-Windows OS; Waertagi have a Mac Aqua GUI; Mostali see the raw machine code... :-)

I agree; moreover, I think the ability to perceive all those Measures is dependent on your sorcerous or religious knowledge. A theist on the Saint Plane won't necessarily see the saint's haloes and captions, though any Malkioni lay member would. (Adding, of course, to the "what's it all about, eh?" bewilderment of theists confronted by godless atheist Malkioni sorcery).

> Translations and "debugging" of rituals and heroquests among
> sorcerors may be a much more serious job than it is in the
> Theist otherworld, where things seem to be a little more forgiving.

While this fits the greater "specificity" of Sorcerous magic ("no improvisation!") vs. Theistic, since the God Learners screwed around with all of the otherworlds it's entirely possible the same kind of thing can happen on any of them nowadays, IMO.

Greg Stafford typically uses the example of a Lightbringer party arriving at the sea-coast and expecting to find a Giant Turtle to carry them across the Western Ocean. What do they do if they meet a Giant Roc instead?

Cheers, Nick