Re: Re: Big spirit dudes

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 21:24:01 +1200

James Turner wrote:

>JT>He's a middle man. And you cannot get *friendly* access to Lightning
> >spirits without his intercession.

>Why care about friendly access?

Because it is much more difficult to get a hostile spirit. With friendly access, you can bargain, flatter or appease the spirit. With hostile access, you have to fight them.

> >Yes. And now you are trying to integrate a hostile spirit into your
> >body. Tradition lores make this easier as you know what to appease and
> >bargain with them. Spirits are, afterall, not plug and play components
> >but become a part of yourself, especially when you intergrate them...

>Well you could put that slant on them but its not implied in the rules.

Lots of things are not implied in the rules. For example, Roderick's mentioned that an integrated spirit can be torn away with certain magic.

> >I, for one, would not want to go to Oakfed's part of the Spirit Plane
> >without a deal present. One could get seriously burned by poaching on
> >his spirits without permission...

>But if you just wanted a fire fetish you are not going to learn all
>about Oakfed, start following his tradition etc. You'll just go to the
>spirit plane look for a fire spirit and beat it.

And fire spirits generally are found in Oakfed's realm, thus bringing us back to Jeff's objection. If you don't want to go to Oakfed's realm then you are venturing outside your tradition and have an even harder time.

>In order to make the spirit cults important and used you have to give
>them special spirits and make them unavailable to anyone who doesn't
>follow their tradition.

Nobody said unavailable. What Jeff said was lack of friendly access.

>This leads to things like Waha shamans going to the spirit plane
>and only seeing Waha spirits, unable to find any fire, water, storm,
>darkness, bee, fear, lust etc spirits.

Since when were Waha shamans unable to find spirits of fire, water, storm etc?

--Peter Metcalfe