Re: Fog of war

From: Michael Schwartz <mschwartz_at_...>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 13:36:17 -0500

Greg Stafford wrote:

>Iphara is the Murder Fog, and that its presence
>implies (secret) murder is present, intended or
>done.

This makes Iphara an unnatural phenomenon rather than a natural one like the Mistral, which fits with the notion of secret murder as a disruption of the sacred order. Shakespeare used unnatural storms to signify such disruptions in "Macbeth" and "Julius Caesar" (tragedies of the period in general typically did) to good effect, and it benefits narrators and players both to consider the narrative implications of Iphara, Urain, Gagarth, Molanni or any other "Bad Wind". This is why beginning a story or scene with "It was a dark and stormy night" is such a narrative staple... it is instant recognizable as a harbinger of unnatural events.

--
Michael Richard Schwartz | Language is my playground,
mschwartz_at_... | and words, its slides and