Reluctant gamers

From: Guy Hoyle <ghoyle1_at_...>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 09:12:47 -0500

One of the groups I used to play with doesn't see the value of building clans and tribes when gaming. They don't see the entertainment value in most activities that involve "heroic quests" (by which they mean vanquishing monsters, getting treasure, and going up in levels as quickly as possible). They mostly play the typical wandering mercenary band typical of many RPGs. They regard necessary downtime for learning new spells as a waste of time where the non-spellcasters have to sit twiddling their thumbs.

I'd like to rejoin this group using Glorantha and Hero Wars, but I'm not at all sure they will enjoy it very much. But perhaps I've misjudged them, and they just haven't been exposed to any other style of play. Any suggestions on how to wean them away from AD&D and onto Hero Wars?

Guy