Re: Laws of Physics

From: Philippe Sigaud <sigaud_at_...>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 16:09:24 +0200 (MEST)

jeff kyer <jeff.kyer_at_...>:

> There was a conversation very similar to this one at Origins a few
> months back. In essence (as it were) the 'laws' governing these
> interactions are generally the same but in areas which are strongly
> allied to one of the Otherworlds have much differening ways of
> generating a similar effect. The implication made was that anyone
> trying to define Glorantha strictly through laws of physics was on the
> wrong track.

If I remember correctly RQ-Era runes, magic (the R-shaped rune) means 'communications between worlds'. So, the World Is Made of Everything and everything behave in the normal (ie 'usual') way, until someone calls a bit of an Otherworld into the Mortal World. And _then_ a little bit of the world will follow other laws (or rather less strongly, other rules), which may be (or not) quite different from the usual ones.
IIRC, Roitina Ritual magic is represented with this particular R-Shaped rune, btw.

> Physics, the study of vast impersonal forces, would probably exist in
> a Brithini/Mostali area but possibly not in a Malkioni one.

I think Malkioni have Alchemy and that their Sorcellery is a sort of proto-physics, still full (and rightly so ?) of personnalized forces, strange drawings et bubbling potions.
Wasn't Newton as much an alchemist as a physicist ? And godforgoti wizards may also have a impersonnal view of the cosmos (a Brithini term, that). After all, if God Forgot Us (or Flew Away) or if WE forgot God and survived, that means there is no need of God in this (godforsaken, ha)  place.

> Air and Storms move because they ARE Orlanth. "Orlanth Is Dead" makes that
> very clear. The Lunars suppress a fundamental factor in existence in
> the Dragon Pass area and the results are... interesting and strange
> (and very, very deadly).

That's it, make us drool.

Philippe