Re: Re: Magic when God is Dead

From: Mikael Raaterova <mikael.raaterova_at_...>
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2002 12:33:44 +0200

Julian comments

>It depends mainly on how it's recorded on the character sheet : if
>it's included in a Destor Affinity or as a Destor Feat, then he
>can't. If it's recorded as a stand-alone personal Feat, caveat
>narrator on a case-by-case basis. If it's recorded alongside the
>character's Common Magic, he can use it.
>
>You call it a "power of Destor" though, so I'd say "no he can't".

Seems sensible. Given other people's comments it seems that a hero can't use a certain power if it is part of the identity of a god that is Dead.

I'll suggest this:

If it's a Destor power that the hero only has access to via his relation to Destor, then he can't use it if Destor is Dead, whether he is on a quest during an age when the Destor is dead in the underworld or during the Long Winter of 1621.

If it's a Destor power that the hero has heroquested for, it is both incarnated within the hero and part of the identity of Destor. I'd say that the hero might use it in a limited way, even though Destor is dead, because the hero himself "stands-in" for Destor. A hero that tries to use a heroquested Destor power when Destor is dead goes against mythical reality and must prove that Destor is not *quite* Dead. If that succeeds completely, he can use that particular power with no penalties. With a marginal success he can use it but with severe penalties (perhaps a 90% penalty?). It might not be much in terms of actual effects but it might serve as a moral booster of no mean strength.

Does this make sense?