Re: Re: Playing/Handling powerful characters

From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_...>
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 08:14:25 +0000

>My M does V... this just feels wrong to me. In all the stories, the
>would-be hero may take years preparing, being trained, learning the
>essential skills and self-knowledge - but once he sets foot on the
>path of herodom, he either gets there very quickly (by the end of the
>film, in fact <g>) or he dies.

Or, to translate into game terms, by the end of the campaign? Stories (whether books, films, or whatever) are not a good guide here, IMO. The typical scenario has the young neophyte gaining all his skills either before the story starts, or during a largely off-stage training session. Skill improvements through the course of the story are relatively uncommon. RPGs on the other hand nearly always have a system of gradual character improvements, which requires a slightly different approach. There's a big difference between a two hour film and a five year campaign.

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson