Re: Re: Playing/Handling powerful characters

From: e-g_at_...
Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2002 21:24:06 GMT

Graham Robinson <graham_at_...> writes:

>I'd like to see a brake put on this, so that it takes more
>sessions to get from hero to demi-god than it does to become a hero in the
>first place. YMWV.

My M does V... this just feels wrong to me. In all the stories, the would-be hero may take years preparing, being trained, learning the essential skills and self-knowledge - but once he sets foot on the path of herodom, he either gets there very quickly (by the end of the film, in fact <g>) or he dies.

In game terms, once you're a hero you must face ever-more dangerous and heroic challenges, which constantly drive you forwards and upwards until either they destroy you, or you reach a level where nothing, not even the Red Moon in the sky itself, can hinder you - or, an equally honourable and cinematic option, you choose to buy a few cows, hang your sword over the fireplace and make enigmatic comments to the next generation of would-be heroes who come along.

Stephen

--
"How many apocalypses is this for us?"
"I don't know. Six, maybe seven?"