Re: Spending HP

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_...>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 16:03:25 -0000

> IMO the narrator's 'story points' are for use in keeping the story
working.
> For instance:
> If the players begin to win a contest that, according to the
planned story,
> they would do better losing.
> Not if your NPCs are not challenging enough for them - construct
more
> challenging ones next time.

Please, allow me to be the first to jump all over you on this one (assuming I type fast enough ;).

The day I as narrator decide which contests the PCs will win and which they will lose, I hope is the day some kind soul will take me round the back of a barn and put me out of everyone's missery. I sincerely hope that the days when I might have thought such a judgement was mine to make are long past.

Hero Wars for me is not a game where I tell a story to the players, I realy hope that their decisions and participation will materialy contribute to the unfolding plot. The whole point of Hero Points is not to bludgeon the players into place, but to give the players more power to engineer the game in directions they want. Directions I as narrator may never have concieved.

For me, that's a good thing.

Simon Hibbs