Orlanthi Hair dos

From: Viktor Haag <vhaag_at_...>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 10:55:01 -0500

Mick Rowe writes:
> I was wondering what hair style the Helerites prefer when it
> come to me that they perm their hair to make it look like the
> clouds, or a sheeps fleece.

How would he do this?

> Now, I've got this image in my head of a big burly Helemakti
> warrior, after a hard day saving the world, he goes home, sits
> by the hearth, and puts his curlers in.

"Perms" are a modern invention and involve, as far as I know, a chemical process. (Yet another use for trollking urine?)

Also sheep's fleeces are not as "fluffy" as you might think; they're actually quite thick, matted, and dense.

I suggest the most likely course is to tease the hair and involve the use of wax (beeswax most likley, thanks to almighty Minlister) to produce a felted 'dreadlock' look. I'm not entirely sure how dreads are produced, but I believe it uses low-tech materials (wax or oil) rather than the more modern processes used in "permanent waving".

[ Addendum: "google dreadlocks" turns up <http://www.dreadlocks.com> with a great, short intro to dread methods, and products.

I now know that you can make dreads by teasing (i.e. backcombing), and by using wax to "hold the hair together and facilitate the locking process". I suspect that what the backcombing does is pry back the artichoke like flaps on the hair follicles to facilitate "locking" or felting.

Apparently, you can get dreads through a chemical process, just as you would with "perming" but it's expensive, and "not natural".

There's a link to a history section, but no information there (and the site's two years old, so there probably never will be).

I can probably learn more direct information about how caucasian (Helerite?) hair responds to dreading, as we have a woman in my department who's been dreading her hair for about two years now. If anyone's interested in pursuing this arcane topic. ]

--
V.