Re: Magic in Glorantha?

From: Oliver D. Bernuetz <bernuetz_at_...>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 15:58:57 -0000

Jesse asked:

> While in the HeroQuest book it implied that the use of magic isn't
the
> sort of situation that would cause any sort of social issues. It is
> integrated into the fabric of life and if a merchant wishes to use
> Issaries magic to help him with bargaining noone will think
negatively
> of it.

I disagree that this would be acceptable behaviour. The Hero's Book suggests this kind of magic isn't that noticeable. Augmenting your abilities is one thing but using magic as an active ability is pretty stinky since many people won't have any special ability of their own to resist it. I would think in those kind of social cases people would be wary of magical manipulation and actively try and prevent it.

> Also is it easily recognizeable when an individual is using magic of
> the "wrong" type. For example one of the PCs is a devotee from a
> highly-theistic barbarian culture. Would he be able to recognize
when
> an individual uses sorcery or animism, even in general terms? Would
he
> just see magic?

I think he'd see the person waving his arms about and making weird gestures. This would be a good sign that the persons doing magic of some sort. Would they recognize it? Probably not if they hadn't encountered it before or their stories and tales don't mention examples of it. Big bad sorceror tales, How to recognize a shaman in ten easy lessons, etc.

Oliver