New occupation: Boatman

From: Viktor Haag <vhaag_at_...>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 13:36:19 -0500

Here's a stab at a new occupation (Boatman) that I intend to be available for my upcoming Prax campaign. I imagine it would be useful in any homeland where there's at least one long, large river used for traffic of trade and people (as is the Zola Fel). I could have just used the Sailor occupation as is, but I wanted something with a different feel -- the Sailor is clearly slanted towards the "Salty Dog" sort of character, whereas I wanted something that was more laid back and relaxed.

Any comments you might have would be much appreciated (for example, what homelands besides those listed would be likely). Also, I'm conscious of the gender loaded into the name of the occupation, but the only alternative I could think of was "River boater" which sounded kind of wonky to my ear.

Boatman occupation

Boatmen are not as tied to their crafts as their marine cousins, the sailors; however, their lives still are solidly centered on the river(s) where they ply their trade. They may be captains or crew members on larger river boats, or single owner-operators of their own smaller crafts. Their lives are less often adventurous than their sailor cousins, and more often they're focussed on merchanting.

Beginning hero suggestions:

    Boatmen are good selections for campaigns based around large     rivers. They often have wanderlust, but only of a limited     nature: they like to travel up and down the river that     provides the artery of their lives, to see and meet all the     folk who live on its banks. Since they live closer to     civilisation than sailors, they're less likely to be fugitive     or criminal types, and more likely to be friendly or crusty     traders by nature.

Appropriate homelands:

    Prax and Zola Fel Valley, Teshnos, Kralorela

Abilities:

    Agile, Boating, Brawling or Dagger Fighting, Hold Drink,
    Juryrig Repair, Know Local Waterways, Load and Stow Cargo,
    Neogtiate Fare, Portage, Swim, Tie Knots

Typical Personality Traits:

    Affable, Canny, Superstitious

Typical Relationships:

    to Captain or Boat; to Fellow Boatmen; to Portmasters or Brokers

Typical Followers:

    None, in general. Maybe a young "river rat" climbs aboard one     day and pesters to be made useful.

Standard of Living:

    Common.

Typical equipment:

    Sheeting knife, rope, reed pipe, wide-brim hat.

--
Viktor Haag : Software & Information Design : Research In Motion
                              +--+