Re: Re: Two swords

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2004 00:26:18 +0000 (GMT)

> There's a style that Anakin uses in Attack of the
> Clones,
> left sword back-hand, right sword front hand ; keep
> both
> swords close together in basic stances, using them
> much
> as in a two-handed weapon technique ;

I can see I'll have to watch that film again.

> I suspect that the only reason the style works is
> because these are _lightsabers_

It seems possible. Will have to check.

> > > Then it was called "Case" and typically used
> only in formal duels

at a reenactment fair today, found a book that discussed the "case". Period writers seem to have thought it was more for show than for use, too :)

Didn't buy the book. Did buy yet another sword - well, a 12" seax. I suppose I really should buy a second broadsword so I can try out these theories (hey, any excuse...! and borrowing one off a friend for a few minutes is just too easy...)

> Hence the two lightsabers exception (lightsabers are
> _excellent_ against armour <g>).

Including when thrusting rather than slashing? As you may have gathered, this isn't a universe I pay much attention to.

> ... and at least one guy in Dorastor who uses two
> iron bastard swords ... ;-)

There is? I'll have to do some looking up.... but it's always possible that he was from an author who knew not enough about the use of swords. Or, of course, that the highly magical swords were capable of suddenly getting shorter when required :)

Jane Williams

Yahoo! Messenger - Communicate instantly..."Ping" your friends today! Download Messenger Now http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com/download/index.html