RE: Greetings and Felicitations

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 07:37:57 +0100

> Mind you, especially in the HQ main book, it's all offered as
> tantalizing hints with very little detail.

All we want is a 10-volume introductory book (sigh)....

> I've got HQ
> voices, which is nice, but I'm still looking for places I can go to
> get a bit more detail on the cultures.
> ... I do realize Dragon Pass is the classic, but I'd
> like to try somewhere else if possible.

Dragon Pass *is* the best detailed by far, and hence the easiest, with all the new scenarios set there.

There's a lot of fan stuff out based around Pavis, because that's the old-time classic adventuring setting. Still a basic Heortling culture, but with some foreign additions. Linked in with that, we have Sun County (the Prax version), though so far only the basic keywords have been adapted for HW/HQ (looks to see how far that's slipped down to-do-list, shudders and looks away).

The Lunars have a book to themselves, with more coming. I wouldn't want to play from it myself, it seems to just divide them into a collection of sub-cultures that still aren't well enough defined, but that may well just be me. Never did like the Lunars :)

How about the Uz? Trolls? Loads of pre-HW/HQ background, and the Book of Uz brings it all up to date? Now that's different! You can still use Dragon Pass as a setting, but with a *very* different culture. The Uz will *love* Fimbulwinter, and the Battle of Iceland is just another source of food :)

Mind you, having said all this, I'm assuming an infinite supply of money to buy source books, and this is the real world. How much cash and shelf space do you want to devote to Glorantha?