Re: Durulz and rinliddi

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 10:07:31 +1300

Greg wrote:

>That is, if you were from Europe and went to Africa and found gorillas, would
>you think, "Wow, they are just like us so they must be humans!"?

The Hanno expedition did something like that.

         At the end of it was an island like the first one, with a lake in
which was another     island full of savages. The greater parts of these
were women. They had hairy bodies and the interpreters called them Gorillas. We pursued some of the males but we could not catch a single one because they were good climbers and they defended themselves fiercely. However, we managed to take three women. They bit and scratched their captors, whom they did not want to follow. We killed them and removed the skins to take back to Carthage. We sailed no further, being short
of        supplies."
                 The Hanno expedition
                  http://www.barca.fsnet.co.uk/hanno-voyage.htm

The modern species of gorilla was named by a missionary who had read this description (although it's more probable that what Hanno actually encountered were chimpanzees).

--Peter Metcalfe

---