Re: Social Cult Ranks or Devotees vs Initiates

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 16:31:38 -0000

> Hmmm, I was rather under the impression that the increased time
> commitment of devotees was largely spent emulating their gods--a
> devotee of Odayla spent a lot of time hunting, a devoteee of
> Barntar spent a lot of time in the fields, a devotee of Minlinster
> spent a lot of time brewing beer and mead, and so on.

I understand other folks feel that way. For me that is too much of a fudge. IMG I don't think that just living the life of a steader is the sacrifice required of a Durev devotee. Sure I think that the Durev devotee is doing magical/ritual/religous work, whch may be of benefit to his community, but I don't think simply 'living Heortling life' is enough.

For me a devotee is a magician, and like all magicians he spends time on his own, away from other people, involved in arcane activity.

The 'largely spent emulating their gods' phrase has I think become used by most folks as a fudge to justify 'adventurer' devotees who have no real religious obligations but want the magic: 'Oh I'm Destor so all this adventuring time in tunnels and taverns is just what my god would have been doing'.

The only penalty becomes the game one of allocating HP spend to cult skills.

Of course YMMV. But since I took this line in the game and many more people have opted for initiates, I feel much happier with the results.