Re: Re: Fearing Dragons

From: Stephen Tempest <e-g_at_...>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 20:18:17 +0000

"Jane Williams" <janewilliams20_at_...> writes:

>And I'm, just once, going to break a Rule and post mainly so as to say
>"Bravo!" *Excellent* solution, both parts of it.

Why, thank you, ma'am!

>Now all we need to watch out for is the PC who *has* done that level of
>study of True Dragons (probably rare, but not impossible) and who says
>"well, the last time I was chatting to one..."

"OK, with your knowledge of True Dragons you know *definitely* that what Kallyr is about to do is suicidal..."

If that did happen in my campaign, I'd either have the player replace Orlaront entirely (if they were powerful enough) or have Orlaront approach that PC for help - in a separate scenario before the Sky Ship one - as he prepares for the Quest. Make it clear to the PC that only with his/her assistance will Orlaront be strong enough to protect himself and Kallyr when they talk to the Dragon. (Perhaps the PCs have to go and find some draconic maguffin which makes the bearer immune to the reality-warping effects of a Cosmic Dragon's brain, but will burn out after one use).

>Now, can you also explain why she feels it necessary to start a fight
>before leaving the Ship, rather than just jumping off?
>
>So far my meta-game explanation is that someone wanted a contrived
>method of killing off a NPC.

Perhaps once on the Sky Ship, you can never voluntarily leave it? That's why she has to arrange to be thrown off by the crew...

Stephen