RE: Re: Fearing Dragons

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 21:30:36 -0000

> >Now all we need to watch out for is the PC who *has* done
> that level of
> >study of True Dragons (probably rare, but not impossible)
> and who says
> >"well, the last time I was chatting to one..."
>
> "OK, with your knowledge of True Dragons you know
> *definitely* that what Kallyr is about to do is suicidal..."

So how does (s)he respond, I wonder?

Insist on going along to protect her?

Refuse to have anything to do with anything so stupid, and get well out of range?

Do his best to persuade her not to attempt it, thus acting as an augment to the dragon's "**&^*& terrifying" Wlots? But since you won't be rolling that contest anyway, you just describe it as having some effect but not enough to stop her.

> If that did happen in my campaign, I'd either have the player
> replace Orlaront entirely (if they were powerful enough)

The most fun option, I'd say.

> have Orlaront approach that PC for help - in a separate
> scenario before the Sky Ship one - as he prepares for the
> Quest. Make it clear to the PC that only with his/her
> assistance will Orlaront be strong enough to protect himself
> and Kallyr when they talk to the Dragon. (Perhaps the PCs
> have to go and find some draconic maguffin which makes the
> bearer immune to the reality-warping effects of a Cosmic
> Dragon's brain, but will burn out after one use).

Nice! And solves the problem of having them listening in to the conversation, too.

ISTR that a lot of the point of draconic powers is to NOT use them yourself, for some mystical reason or other. So if the PC has gained the powers, they can't be the one to use them.

> >Now, can you also explain why she feels it necessary to
> start a fight
> >before leaving the Ship, rather than just jumping off?

> Perhaps once on the Sky Ship, you can never voluntarily leave it?
> That's why she has to arrange to be thrown off by the crew...

That would work. A Flying Dutchman effect. Presumably only found out about once already on board, and at short notice. "Oh, drat, we just missed our stop! Pull the alarm cord, quick..." I wonder why it's there? Stopping the slave rowers from escaping? And what's the resistance? "You can't" is not a HQ option. "The resistance to it is W10" is.

But if this was explained in the scenario, I must have missed it.