Re: Re: Heroquesting tactics for gods' identities

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 23:36:35 -0700

> Any ideas on identity? That is, making two gods be distinct for some
> target group, or making them identical?
>
> Our player characters' specific problem is to undo or at least weaken
> the merger of two gods previously done by enemy heroquesters.

Now you're getting into Godlearner territory and danger lies ahead...

Everything starts with myth. Assuming there's a myth that *seems* to conflate the two beings (say, Inora and White Princess, to take the problem that's been plaguing the lists recently), the way to ensure that they are, indeed, one and the same would be to HQ to the point where the merge seems to happen and make sure that it does, or that you can get the same benefits/secrets from one as you do from the other. "The White Princess gave me the Guardian Snow ability, which we all know comes from Inora. They *must* be one and the same!"

Or, to take perhaps an easier example, all you have to do is take off Batman's mask to prove that he is really millionaire playboy Bruce Wayne. Considering how many times this has been attempted, and people *still haven't caught on, it's a quite difficult task (and Batman is a "mere" human, after all... (Of course, Superman and Clark Kent is an even more blatant example :-). "Look, all he did was take off his glasses and part his hair on the other side!").

To split up a previous merge, well anything mortal man can do, another can undo. But it can be a long, hard process. How big a population was affected by the original herquest? Just a clan, or all Heortlings, or the entire Lunar empire, or the whole world? That group is going to be fighting you by supporting your enemies.

You'll need to find someone that "remembers" the "old way" - someone that wasn't affected by it. You need a population behind you giving total suppoort to your efforts. And you basically have to go back to the original heroquest and defeat those heroquesters when they try to merge the two entities (except they have the support of all the people they convinced - heroquesting is wierd that way...).

Figure on being somewhere in the neighborhood of w7-9 (or more, more is always better) after all your augments, support, etc. are figured in to have a reasonable chance of success.

RR
- Richelieu