Re: HQ still doesn't make much sense

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_...>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 23:41:45 -0000

> I guess what I'm looking for is HQ second edition. I
> read the rules and get an entirely different idea of
> what Glorantha is like than listening to you lot. And
> I played a lot of Runequest too. In the book, it's
> easy to get new magic, easy to join temples, and
> concentrating your common magic seems like a great
> idea.

I run a HQ game and play in David Dunham's HQ game. It is quite easy to get new magic in our games and pretty easy to join temples (assuming that you don't try to combine incompatible beliefs - however, in David's game we have a fellow with magic from all the otherworlds). My campaign focuses on the Orlanthi-Lunar conflict and has a lot of mythical and heroquesting angles. As a result, concentrating on common magic would not be a good idea for my Orlanthi players - but then again, the Heortlings are not typical.

> In the version I see here, the world is a
> stricter, more xenophobic place (where wierd people
> meet each other all the time anyway) and there's some
> good reason to be a disciple.

My Glorantha is largely xenophobic, yet alien cultures do interact - and often on relatively positive terms. My Heortlings are currently in Balazar and are quite disdainful of the local Balazarings (I think only one character has even bothered to learn the local language). Yet they have befriended the citadel kings and trade with them.

Fwiw, I think there are plenty of good reasons to be a disciple - if you can ever achieve it in play. Then again, my Heortlings have one by one largely become devotees. Things are different in David's game.

Jeff