Re: Initate to Devotee

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 12:39:29 -0700

> > I think your take is right on the money. There is, however,
> > something in the
> > rules that simulates the "call" of the deity. That is, the character,
> > already an Initiate, will have a "Worship [Diety]" ability,
> > which is really their relationship to the deity.
>
> Good point. Though since I specify that once you're Devoted, this boost to
> abilities goes back to normal, I think I'd invent a separate skill for
this
> purpose. Not fair to have "worship" drop back.

I wouldn't worry about using anything on the character sheet to reflect the "call" - it's all up to the God (use the God's character sheet ?) - which means totally under control of the narrator - after all, anything on the character sheet can (and will) be squeezed for every ounce of usefulness by many players. And it becomes too mechanical for the random feel you're going for. (And remebr, the diety might also interfere with common magic to some extent - just another hint that the hero is not listening).

I think you'd be better served (as the narrator) by just assigning a bonus to actions that are useful to the diety (A Humakti in combat would get some bonus to his magic) and penalizing magic that is being used "contrary" to what the god wants.

Of course, you'd need to discuss the potential change in status with the player, which means that some of the "where the heck did THAT come from?!?" is lost. After all, if the Player doesn't want to play a devotee, I wouldn't want to force him/her to do so!

RR
- Richelieu