Re: Extremely Limited Editions

From: boudaille2000 <glorantha_at_...>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 07:30:37 -0000

I agree completely with Peter and Graham. First I will never forget that Greg is the founder of a common universe we all love and nurish for more than 20 years now (AFAIAC).

But let's face it, he fired a lot of bullets at his feets (must be a trickster habit !) and glorantha is firstly a game setting wich has a strong kernel and could have been a commercial success as well if there had been a constant and solid production schedule.

Remember all the anouncements by Chaosium after the 79-82 golden age: juicy, promising. and then by Avalon Hill, and then by Issaries. We've got towait till the 21st century to play in offical Sartar i.e. and most parts of the crucial places in Glorantha aren't yet filled in packs or books or whatever could feed the gamers and fans.

And yet, we know that million words descriptive texts, notes, exist and sleep in Greg's drawers or, as Peter says, are scholarly debated and enjoyed by a few "disciples".

I know that Glorantha is greg's creation and that we have no right to tell him ow to deal with her. We're just sharers of this amazing universe who'd like to see esoteric essays and game material published. Greg's always proved gifted in both ways of writing but it's lke he just too scared or too perfectionist to let his ideas make it through the public, and yet has still, even recently, optimistically announced a lot of things wich never saw light or, as Peter says, are always waited for "next year". Here is the ultime paradox...

As Rick meints says, I think the key to this problem should be the agregation of talents in the vast gloranthan community. For example, I'ml a professionnal layout manager workout for a book publisher and printer and know well how to handle design and press ready formats (2W mastery '-) ). Other people have a writing talent, others commercial... As for the good but scarce Issaries products, as for the RQ renaissance or the zine publications, I think all of us with good will out there could organize a production line in order to get material as PDF, printed: available for the community. It should also help Moon Design and Issaries get products without paying high costs.

That's the state of mind I'm in now after moaning silently all these years after the same things that Peter (and others) points at. Let's try to get things done and help glorantha thrive once and for all !

What do you think ?

Fred the french grognard

(BTW Greg, The first feeling I keep about you is admiration ;-))