Re: Ralian Orlanthi

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 18:04:28 -0700

> > > Could you (and Greg) at least learn to say "some
> > of"
> > > before "its origins"? The "all Orlanthi worship
> > comes
> > > from Dragon Pass"
> >
> > Of course, this is the "Orlanthi all."
>
> The language of this list is English, the last I
> heard. We've heard repeatedly that "Orlanthi" have a
> very limited language, with no words that mean "some",
> "many", "most", or "85%", but instead have to employ
> "all" for all these concepts, but English is not so
> limited, and there is no reason beyond deliberate
> confusion to pretend that it is.

Well, when used to talk about Orlanthi, "All" is pretty well established among the Gloranthan community to mean "Orlanthi All". It is specified in Thunder Rebels 7, which was only codifying a concept that had been around for a while.

And it's not that the Orlanthi have a limited vocabulary (they ain't "one-two-many" style barbarians), it's that they realise that there are *always* exceptions to the rule, and that this generally comes out to about one in seven.

RR
- Richelieu