Re: Orlanthi - Ralians, Talastari, oh my

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_...>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 18:03:51 -0000

> Here's the other half:
> The hsunchen didn't really have much to drop to worship Orlanth.
They
> worshipped some ghosts, some demonic beings who were not entirely
> unfriendly, etc., but they didn't have much that would help them
in
> the way that the Orlanthi religion did.

And it is worth keeping in mind that along with Orlanth, the missionaries brought Ernalda and her sisters (especially Esrola), Barntar, and lots of good ways of getting food, healing, protection, and so on. Certainly beats what those ghosts and not entirely unfriendly demonic beings offered. :)

> Of course, the socieities that DID adopt the Orlanthi ways
earliest
> got a significent leg up on the others who resisted or remained
> hiding. Those that did are the tribes we find in the First Age
> history, like the Galaninings, etc.

Yeah, I remember when we were figuring out First Age population growth, adopting the Orlanthi ways (instead of worshipping ghosts, and not entirely unfriendly demonic beings) made a huge difference in your ability to grow and expand. No wonder Orlanth-embracing tribes like the Galaninings ended up dominant.

Jeff