RE: Re: Dissappointed

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 10:32:47 -0500

>From: Brian Curley <bkcurley_at_...>
>
>Congrats on the great turn out for your HQ demos. The only problem, I
>think, is that I don't see how anyone NOT already in the know would have
>found out about your demos.

Well, to be precise, nobody knew I would be running HQ demos besides Newt, Rick, and Kat Miller the event organizer. That is, nobody was "in the know." I wasn't excluding a particular group, but the whole world, again knowing that even then I'd have too much business.

I have another ulterior motive in this - if I'm going to run a small number of games, I would prefer to run for as many newbs as possible. If you advertise that you're running, you tend to get games packed with experienced players. As it was, I was able to grab any and all players who'd never played before who presented themselves.

I'm confident that we made at least a dozen converts to HQ.

>I realize you couldn't have accomodated
>more players, but if people were getting turned away, it would indicate
>more demand than supply and (hopefully) lead to more people running HQ
>in the future.

Yes, precisely. With only myself and Thomas there committed to running any HQ, we could only do a very limited number of demos. To be clear, I was made head honcho of the US branch of MOLAD only a couple of months before GenCon, far too late to be entered into the program book and do things officially. So, again, big thanks to Kat and the GoD program for getting HQ played at GenCon! Without this support there would have been no play of the game at all. Given a similar set up, with more GMs and actual advertising, I'm sure we could have run as many as, oh, thirty games or so. Perhaps more.

So, that being the case, I'm going to see if we can get exactly that sort of coverage for next year. What it'll require is more GMs to volunteer to join MOLAD in the US. So, consider that a call. If you want to be a member of MOLAD and be involved in what ought to be a spectactular showing of HQ at GenCon next year, please contact me off the list.

No, it's never too early to start planning for GenCon.

>Based on your report, I am strongly considering replacing my Cthulhu
>Dark Ages game with a HeroQuest game next year.

Sounds great!

>Thanks for carrying the torch!

Just a couple of people can't do it well all alone. Let's work it together, people, and really envigorate the community.

>And now that a few folks on the list were there, I think some kind of
>HeroQuest confab would be nice... even if it was just drinks and a bite
>to eat at The Ram or someplace like that. Anyone else interested?

I'm in! We'll try to co-ordinate.

Mike