Re: Re: The Monstrosity

From: LC <lightcastle_at_...>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 17:54:19 -0400

On August 24, 2006 05:40 pm, Mike Holmes wrote:

> I'm sorta joking. To be more serious, this is supposed to be the Hero Wars,
> and I get the sense that people are conditioned to shy away from
> world-shaking stuff. I'm always hearing about cattle raids, and such (no
> offense, Ian, there's nothing wrong with the low-level option if it's
> deliberately what you want). ;-)

All too true. In my doomed Karse game, we had a mix. The sorcerer was definitely setting up for some really awful world-shaking stuff, while the Merchant Kelson was much more local poltics-playing. The Assassin could have ended up with some heavy magic depending on how serious she was at gunning for the cult. The Lhankor Mhy scholar had so much potential to be the person at the eye of a hurricane of prophecy and power it was scary (and that player would have knocked that right out of the park, too).

*sigh* I'm still sad that fell apart.

> I'm saying with this, figure out the nature of this particular beast, and
> just as you'd give an augment for the full moon for a werewolf (at least in
> our mythos, not sure about Glorantha), give him the appropriate ritual
> bonus for the right time for that creature. Simply remember to give ritual
> bonuses where they'd be fun.

*nod*

Agreed. Once you figure out what kind of beastie it is, then pick the fun bits like this. I'd go away from the Moon if it isn't Lunar. I like the Carmanian darkness idea, so that would be where I'd go. (Which means it MIGHT get a Lunar bonus in reverse, which could be interesting.)

> I think making the child the innocent subject of a curse, and then having
> the group have to figure out what to do with him is central to this set-up.
> I'd have that be the starting point, in fact. If it's just ye olde
> investigation to find out the real beast and kill it...well count me out at
> least.

Oh, I'd certainly go that way as well. At the very least the kid is wrapped up in it someway that makes it more complicated than "find the beastie, kill the beastie".
LC