Re : Getting started in HQ

From: Vladimir de Saint André <v_saintandre_at_...>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 09:05:22 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Peter,

Thanks a lot for casting some light! I had never considered playing on the Lunar side but it could be fun, a bit, I imagine, like playing Romans at the time of the great Roman expansion. May be somewhat less manichean than the fierce Orlanthi fighting for freedom. I'll have to consider this. A group of Lunar diplomats and their companions setting out through the world to unveal some mysteries or build an alliance... A good way to offer the players the logistic of a powerful nation for them to travel the world and enjoy the many beauties of Glorantha!

I found the character generation a bit disturbing as it leaves it entirely up to you compared to other games. May be the companions gives clearer guidance.

Many thanks,

Vlad.

At 07:55 p.m. 4/09/2006, you wrote:
>Hello guys,
>
>I am starting with HQ and have now bought most of the HQ source
>books. I must say I feel a bit overwhelmed by the abundances of
>sources do not know what I should read first. Any idea of the
>possible order of readings, so that I can construct more easily my
>representation of this (sometimes overly) rich world?

>I have:
>1001. HeroQuest
>1103. Anaxial's Roster
>1301. Thunder Rebels
>1302. Imperial Lunar Handbook, vol.1
>1305. Men of the Sea
>1310. Storm Tribe
>1402. Orlanth is Dead!
>1403. Gathering Thunder
>4502. The Complete Griselda

>I also have the gods book and Gernertela from the Runequest product line

I'll start with RQ: Genertela to give an overview of the continent with the first bit of the Cults Book from Gods of Glorantha (stop reading when you get to the short cult writeups). You can also look at the What the Priests Say from Gods of Glorantha section to get an insight into each religion.

An additional (and free!) resource is the Heroquest Voices which expands the What the Priests say section. Also of interest is the Homelands section of HeroQuest.

Then you must make a choice - Lunar or Orlanthi? Which appeals to you most - decadence or savagery?

If you chose Orlanthi, then start with Thunder Rebels and Storm Tribe. I would add Barbarian Adventures but you don't have it. Orlanth is Dead is somewhat useful and I would leave Gathering Thunder to one side for now.

If you chose the Lunars then read Imperial Lunar Handbook volume 1. ILH-2 would be useful save that you don't have it and I hesitate to tell you to spend more money just yet.

Then read the HeroQuest rulebook to find out how to have fun. Read Men of the Sea for tangential stuff on the other cultures of Glorantha and Anaxial's Roster for the beasties.

The Complete Griselda is really useful for bringing light to a side of Pavis which requires access to the Pavis and Big Rubble Compendium

>By the way, is the Hero's Book useful, especially about character generation?

Hero's Book was written to clarify the Hero Wars character generation and is somewhat useful for Heroquest but not essential.

--Peter Metcalfe