Re: Re: Public relations

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2008 08:34:06 -0700

Toksickburn_at_... wrote:

> I understand that its an industry reality that there are playtesters.
> I dont
> understand why they get a full copy of the text while everybody else
> has to
> wait at least 3 months. Thats way too long.

I am not publishing this, and have no say in its timing or contents. But I feel a need to explain a bit.

I will simply say that in my 30 years of experience it is absolutely necessary to have a limited number of test players and contributors, especially when the final version is being prepared. Test players tend to be too slow in their response for the designer/publisher. Sure, they do their best, but test players usually have limited time to devote to this, and the comments come in weeks after changes were already being made. then they are angry or disappointed because they feel ignored.
Especially at this stage of the development a certain kind of comment is necessary. Most volunteers send in complaints ("I'd do it a different way" or "I don' like that" or "It' snot how it works in my Glorantha," etc.)
It is just too damn hard to work with and coordinate with a huge number of people. I've done it, tried it again, and personally have rejected it. In the early stages there is good reason to solicit open comments, but at the later stage is is counterproductive. The designer needs to take responsibility at some point and do what he seems best. otherwise it never gets done.

I understand why you do not want to wait 3 months. But trust me, my experience shows that if everyone got early copies and commented, and the designes paid attentino to everyone equally, then it would be MORE than 3 months until it was done.

--
    Greg Stafford
    President, Issaries. Inc.

Love without reserve,